Root canal therapy
Root canal refers to eliminating bacteria from the infected root canal and prevent the tooth from reinfection to save the natural tooth. Simply, we can say badly damaged or infected teeth can be saved by root canal therapy. It comes from cleaning the canals inside the tooth and is usually done in 1-2 appointments.
When we need a root canal:
Root canals can be needed for a genetical pr cracked tooth situation, a deep cavity, or other issues from the previous filling. These are the symptoms to know when we will need a root canal.
- Teeth become sensitive to cold and hot sensations.
- Pimples on gums
- Tender or swollen gums
- Darkening or deep decay of the gums
- A cracked or chipped tooth
- Severe pain while eating something.
Do root canals hurt?
Root canal treatment is nothing like the old sayings we heard with all the anesthesia and upgraded tools. It is like any other regular dental treatment like removing a wisdom tooth or filling a damaged tooth. But there might be some discomfort or numb feeling for a few days after the procedure is done. However, we can take medication from our dentist and follow some advice like quitting smoke to manage the pain afterwords
After the root canal is done, we have to take care of our treated teeth by following some tips and advice given by our dentist. Some of them are given below.
- Brushing teeth twice a day by moving the toothbrush gently without aggravating the treated tooth
- To prevent future infections flossing once a day is a must
- Reducing the amount of sugary drinks and food
- Avoid hard food right after the treatment
- Setups regular cleaning schedule to keep the teeth healthy and infection-free